Tuesday, September 21, 2010

High Low

About once a week in my classroom, my students and I play a game called "High Low."  I throw the beach ball to one student at a time and they hold the ball above their head and state their high point of the day or the week, then they hold the ball below them and state their low of the day or the week.  My fifth graders love it, and I love it too, because it is a quick and fun way to build community in our classroom.  It also helps me to get to know more students better.  Well, today I am going to play "High Low" on here (minus the whole beach ball part)…

High of my day: Receiving flowers at school from Rob…  for no reason at all.  :)  They arrived right after school, to the front office, when I was tutoring three girls in my class.  The secretary called my name down to the office, and let's just say the girls were very giggly and suspicious when I walked back into the room with a bouquet of flowers…

Low of my day: Having my principal observe my math lesson.  That, in and of itself, would have been fine, but this lesson was the most difficult math lesson I have ever taught…  Multiplying and dividing with variables.  Let's just say I got a lot of blank stares from the kids and I was running around (like a chicken with my head cut off) trying to help the kids, while my principal was watching my every move, taking notes on my teaching….  Yikes.

By the way, one of my students (now, remember- she is NINE years old) informed me today that she will dressing up as Snookie for Halloween…  Wooooo, not okay! ha

3 comments:

  1. Flowers for no reason at all are the BEST flowers ever!
    Snooky... oh my, what a role model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny you do high/lows for your class! I use high/lows for devotions at summer camp and also with my fiance at night! I've even seen families do them together over the dinner table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers sent by my husband to me at school for no reason are definitely high days for me too! Go Rob!

    ReplyDelete