Monday, December 7, 2009

Book Report

I recently read the novel, Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. It is about Alice, a 50-year old Harvard professor, who gets early onset Alzheimer's disease. This book pretty much starts from when Alice begins showing signs of her dementia through her spiral downwards. I was fascinated by Alice's compelling personal struggle, as well as how her disease affected her family. It is truly heart-breaking. The author, Lisa Genova, holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard, so while this was a work of fiction, it was extremely educational and academically stimulating. I highly recommend this book.
On a related note, did anyone watch today's Oprah? I normally don't watch her show, but the story was so perplexing. It was about a 7-year-old girl who is Schizophrenic- can't put into words how much this little girl and her family break my heart. You can watch clips of it on www.Oprah.com. Here is more information about the little girl on the show: www.janisjourney.org. Mental illness is such a scary thing, and as weird as it sounds, I personally take my mental health for granted. I thank God for a mind that is capable of thinking clearly. I also am thankful for doctors and researchers who are working to find more treatments and cures for different kinds of mentall illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment