I am beyond excited…. Rob and I are starting to scheme up a Spring Break trip to Charleston, South Carolina. We both have never visited Charleston, and I have a "thing" for the South and we both enjoy history, so Charleston sounds like the perfect trip! We want to start compiling a list of Charleston must see/must do things (historical landmarks, tours, plantations, restaurants, etc). So, I would really really really appreciate all of YOUR input and ideas if you have been! :)

The Mills House is a fabulous place to stay!
ReplyDeleteCharleston is my favorite city! My boyfriend and I spent a weekend there last Valentines days. It is such a fun a romantic city. I have lots of suggestions sorry this is such a long comment:
ReplyDeleteWe've stayed at The Planters Inn which is really old and historic and right next to their market, a great location, plus you can get complimenty, speciality iced tea every time you come in. I've also stayed at the Vendue Inn which is soo nice!
Basically you're going to want to eat everywhere! My favorites are Hanks Seafood, Carolina's, Fleet Landing (great for lunch it's a converted port right on the water), have breakfast/brunch at Charleston Place (great high end shops in and around here). Make sure to go to Kilwins and get pralines...divine!
Definitely do a carriage tour- it's a great way to see the city and drool over the fabulous houses, plus there are tons of cool little facts that the guides know. A ghost tour is also fun since there is tons of gula history.
Basically you can just walk around the historic windy streets and never be bored. The aquarium and Patriots Point are also fun sights.
ENJOY!
Charleston is the most beautiful city I've ever been too. (And I've been to both Italy and France!).
ReplyDeleteI really recommend the John Rutledge Inn--which is great if you love history.
Also, check out Poogan's Place for food and Magnolia Plantation if you can. Carriage rides are wonderful as well. Mainly, I recommend just walking around the city, taking as many things in as you can, and enjoying a glass of sweet tea.
It's a beautiful city, a lot of my friends live there. Being there in Spring is probably the best time to go because it can get so hot! King Street for shopping is a must, a tour of Boone Hall plantation (where some scenes from the notebook were filmed), etc. You can pretty much walk around downtown Charleston and the market and find tons of wonderful shops and such. Hope this helps :)
ReplyDeleteHi Lindsey,
ReplyDeleteI would read "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy. It is set in Charleston and is a GREAT read!! It sounds like a fun trip!!
Debra Hannah