Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roald Reading!


This semester I read the book, Witches, by Roald Dahl to my fourth graders that I student taught.  Obviously Roald Dahl is an extremely famous children's book author, but he truly is one of my favorites.  A few of his most popular books include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Matilda.  His stories are wonderful read-alouds.  (Teachers know what I'm talking about- there are many great books, but some are just not good to read aloud.)  Witches is an absurd story about a little boy who runs into a group of witches who turns him into a mouse- much of the story is his adventure as a mouse.  The story is creative, humorous, and full of adventure.  I would recommend it for third and fourth graders- or slightly immature adults (like myself, ha.)  A month or so ago I was actually interviewed at Borders by a local reporter for the paper for a section called, "What I'm Reading," and sadly, this past semester, all I have had time for were the ones I was reading with the kids, so I told the reporter about Witches.  While my quote was far from eloquent and my picture is pretty hideous, this may be one of the only times I am in the paper…

1 comment:

  1. I use to be so creeped out by this movie!! Did you ever see it? Some part about a baby carriage rolling down a hill terrified me for life!

    ReplyDelete