Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kamp Memories

A week ago, I looked at the calendar and saw it was June 1st and it made me smile.  Growing up, the beginning of June was a very exciting time for me.  I would look forward to the first week of June all school year from ages 12-15.  The first week of June was when I attended Kanakuk, a Christian athletic kamp on Table Rock Lake in Missouri (yes, camp is spelt with a K there!)  While I have never been and will never be an outdoorsy or athletic kind of gal, I would fight my allergies and lack of athletic skills to attend K-Klassic (one of the many Kanakuk kamps.)  Kamp's a place like no other- it helped grow me in my faith and surrounded me by awesome Christian people.  A few highlights for me were the solid counselors that I idolized, the time we spent discussing our faith and how to take it back to "real life," tubing on the lake, and obviously the fun theme parties.

The summer between my sophomore and junior year of college, I also spent a summer working at Kanakuk.  I worked at K-Kauai, the family kamp.  I spent most of my time cleaning the families cabanas (aka cabins), having meals and hanging out with the families that attended, and lifeguarding.  It was a summer of service, to the say the least, which is just what I needed then!  (I scrubbed too many toilets to count, ha!)  Another cool thing about the family kamp was all the amazing families I got to know- I obviously loved all the fun kids, but the parents were such role models for me too!  Kamp is a very special place that I think fondly of often and am so thankful for the time I spent at K-Klassic and K-Kauai.


I wish I had pictures from when I was a kamper, but all I have on my computer are pics of when I worked at K-Kauai… 

2 comments:

  1. This makes me wish for those days when I was young enough to go to camp.. what wonderful memories! I went to a Christian camp every summer, too, called Camp Cherith. Those weeks are some of my favorite childhood memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at K-1 the same summer you worked. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete